Ellopia:

Elopiais located on the eastern side of Mount Helicon, 20km away from Thiva and just 10km from the Corinthian Gulf. The village is built to the southwest of a rocky hill called Kotroniand at the southern border there is a small river, which flows from Mount Helicon. It is not known when the village was first inhabited. During the Turkish occupation it was a small village inhabited by farmers and stockbreeders.
The village was called “Karantas” until 1916. The word is Turkish and means “Black Stone”. The reason why it was named Karantas is not known. Most likely this name was given because of the grey-coloured limestone rocks, which cover the mountains around the village in the form of small and large rocks. In 1916 it was named Ellopia after the ancient Ellopia of Epirus, but without them being historically connected to each other.

In the past, the village was located four kilometres further east, on a hill. In this place there are remains of a settlement called Paleokarantas. During the cultivation of the fields, remains of pre-Christian settlements were found at small intervals. They are the remains of small and large settlements, which in antiquity belonged to the State of Thespians. During the Byzantine period the area of Boeotia was deserted and the Illyrians settled there, who over time were assimilated by the remaining inhabitants.

During the Great National Struggle of 1821 the inhabitants took part and fought against the Turkish rule. According to a tradition, during the period of Turkish rule, when the Greeks rose up and sought their freedom, Karantas also rose up. The movement failed and the inhabitants fled to the mountains to save themselves from the Turks who had turned against them. Papa-Anastasis, the priest of the village, took refuge in a cave of a huge rock, but the Turks could find him and they slaughtered him. Ever since this huge rock is called the rock of Papa-Anastasis.

Xironomi:

It is one of the five local communities that make up the Municipal Unit of Thisviof the Kallikratis Municipality of Thiva. It is 27km away from Thiva and is located in a verdant valley surrounded by vineyards and olive trees between Helicon and the Corinthian Gulf, 200m. above sea level.
It is a verdant village with almond, vine, mulberry, and lilac trees, which is crossed by a small river that in winter flows down to the northern end of the village. The olive oil and wine of Xironomiare among the finest in the region, as well as the local meats you can find in the taverns (ask for goat stew and mutton ribs on charcoal grill).

According to Pausanias, who visited the area, the settlement Donakon stood somewhere between Tatzas and Xironomi. In ancient times near the settlement there were ponding waters, which were surrounded by reeds. That is Donakes in Ancient Greek, hence the name of the area.

Nowadays, the archaeological findings of the area, which are inscriptions of chipped stones, found in Agh. Georgis, in Trivia, and are kept in the Museum of Thiva, the mosaic found on the eastern outskirts of Xironomi, the “holes” in the area “Honi”, the trapdoor in the area of the School and the “Tower”, i.e. the ruins of a building made of chipped boulders surrounded by the remains of buildings and located between Xironomi and Alyki, suggest that the settlement Donakon was located where Xironomi is today. It is also reported that the mythical Narcissus, son of the river god Cephissus and the nymph Liriope, drowned in the stagnant waters of this settlement or in a nearby “river” which was also called Donakon.

The village has a private Folklore House-Museum of the late G. Blanos, with items gathered by the collector throughout his life with great love and passion.

Alyki Beach

The seaside settlement of Alyki, which is surrounded by the Corinthian Sea, is part of the Community of Xironomi. It was known in antiquity as Siphae or Tiphae, which was a seaport of the Thespians. It is said that Argo, the ship that carried Jason in the Argonauts’ quest, was built there. The fortification wall of the acropolis is also preserved there. Pausanias reports that the locals retained the memory of a local named Tiphys, who had been chosen to become the governor of Argos.
Tiphys son of Hagnias was the first on the list of Argonauts and the one who managed to save the ship at the Cyanean Rocks. In the Argonauts of Apollonius, Tiphys from Sifai is presented. Skilled in steering the ship, aided by the stars and the sun, and adept at predicting storms.

Alyki is one of the most beautiful seaside resorts in Greece and a true gem in the Alkyonides Gulf.
The wild beauty of the landscape, with clear blue waters and archaeological sites, fascinate sophisticated visitors who wish to get off the beaten track. During the last few years it has become a very popular destination, as it is very close to Athens and offers everything. Such as good food (the picturesque taverns by the sea with their famous lobsters and seafood are undoubtedly an integral part of the gastronomic tradition of the area) and facilities (hotels, rooms to let, cafés, sunbeds).

Photos